(via weheartit)
About a week ago I got the chance to be part of my roommate's film project-- she's a film student at NYU and had to write and direct a short film (about nine minutes) for one of her classes. (I realize I just over-used the word "film" but "movie" sounds so much less...artistic) It was a really cool experience: I was brought on as co-production manager and art director.
My role as co-production manager was not very exciting, I just had to work with my friend to make sure everything was running smoothly, to facilitate communication between crew members, to be in charge of food, etc. Art directing was pretty cool, though. Most of the art director's job had been done pre-production, but on set I was able to set up scenes, play around with props, and had to creatively troubleshoot a couple of times (how to cover up black gaff tape against a wood-paneled wall? how to make the background look less flat--and stat!)
Movies--films?--have always held a sort of allure for me. I love escaping into the world of a good movie; much the same as with good books, but with the added visual dimension. Now that I am learning about how movies are made, I thought that perhaps some of that allure--that magic!--would be lost, but becoming aware of how a movie develops has simply deepened my appreciation for the craft. It is wonderful to see a project slowly build and come together with the help of many talented, creative individuals.


0 comments:
Post a Comment