Saturday, November 28, 2009

winter wonderland


(from noodlepip's deviantart)

I think that, from now on, whenever I'm sad, I'm just going to go to an outdoor skating rink and watch people on the ice. I stood downtown on Friday night, watching two of my best friends skate while Christmas music blared out of the speakers behind me, and I could not keep the smile off my face. Awkward young couples holding hands, little children wobbling around the rink and holding on to the railing, graceful skaters with rosy cheeks and the wind in their hair.

So then I buckled up my skates and whizzed onto the ice myself. So happy and free.

I spent a good part of the past few days outside, and loved every minute. There is something about the wind that is so invigorating. There is something about the night sky that that just makes me dream. There is something about the sunshine that makes me instantly happier. I love crunching through leaves and fallen branches in search of a secret stairway leading down to the river.

This weekend was exactly what I needed.

1 comments:

Adrian Miller said...

that sounds marvelous. i had a lovely weekend as well, thanks in part to seeing your face. i love the holiday season =]