(from motleyphotos.blogspot.com via weheartit)
Pretty sure that all the readings for both my Photography and the Visual Archive class, as well as my Advertising and Society class, are making my brain explode. Thanks to all of these theories that are deconstructing the world as I know it, I no longer know how to take it all in. "It" being daily life.
Some gems I find particularly mind-blowing:
In a world where images now supercede reality, we have entered the realm of the hyperreal (thanks Baudrillard). It's difficult to tell what, exactly, reality is, now. The majority of things around us are reproductions, are fakes. We are constantly striving for authenticity, to make up for the loss of the aura.
Is there such a thing as an authentic commodity nowadays? Sure, you can develop a personal relationship with a material good, but does that make it "authentic"? Feelings are still real (I think....) so maybe some authenticity remains... But it's a secondhand reality.
Starting with the mirror stage (in Lacan's view), we recognize ourselves and begin constructing our identities based on an image. An image that is actually just reflected light. And once we realize we can manipulate our image to become something that is not our natural state, to get something we want, etc., we lose sight of our true selves.
Searching for some freedom
So intend to sing them
Songs to spark, memories
What is a man with no history?
Where am i ?
Who am i ?
What is this place?
We're just spinning in space
I will be light
-Matisyahu, I Will Be Light


0 comments:
Post a Comment