Thursday, April 30, 2009

just touched down in london town



The time has come for that London update! I guess I will begin at the beginning. This trip marks the first time that I have traveled alone, here in Europe, and I must say that it was very nice not having to wait for people and constantly worry about things. It also reaffirmed that yes, I can accomplish things by myself and find my way around. With the help of a good map, of course.

Anyway, I took the Eurostar to St. Pancras International. The train ride is about two and a half hours long, and probably 50% of the way is through tunnels. Therefore, my ears were going crazy trying to adjust to the constant changes in pressure. Going through the Chunnel was pretty cool, though, I suppose. I mean it was dark the whole time (about 20 minutes or so) but I got a text message on my phone the minute we sped into the countryside of Great Britain welcoming me, which made me feel pretty special. And hey, I've traveled through the Chunnel. Not everyone can say that.

Susie Q picked me up at the train station, and as soon as I walked outside I knew that I would like London. I stayed with Susie in her dorm room (yeah, sucks for NYU in London) but it was very clean and nice and perfect for the weekend. Let's see. What did we do the first day... After a lunch at Spaghetti House we spent some time exploring the National Gallery, and I got to see some very famous and very beautiful paintings. I must say, though, that late 19th century and 20th century art are definitely my favorite. And contemporary art. I am definitely not classic art's biggest fan. It all starts to look the same after a while; I like the originality and the innovation and the thought-provoking quality of modern art. But there were some Matisses and Monets, Magrittes and Picassos that I enjoyed. After the National Gallery we went to the London Eye and walked around the South Bank for a while, and got some snacks at Borough Market. That night we ate at a restaurant with the most ridiculous name ever: Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese. Yes. You read that correctly. I had myself some fish and chips with a side of mushy peas. Oh London. Later that night we hookah-ed and snuggled and I was a very happy camper.



The next day I walked Susie Q to class and saw the NYU in London building, which is pretty darn fancy. And then I was on my own until around 5 PM! Armed with my various maps and my itinerary, I attempted to take over London. I took a bus over to the Tate Modern, which took me a good forty-five minutes to find; it was only when I had given up on trying to find it when I actually found it. Funny how that happens. I blame it on poor road signs. Anyway, the Tate Modern was pretty cool. Much more up my alley. And I really love how museums are free! America should take note.

I had lunch at the Pret right outside the London Dungeon, and it was delicious, especially my dried mango slices. I then walked to the Tower Bridge and the Tower of London, and took lots of pictures, but didn't actually go in because it was too darn expensive. Looked cool, though. I walked around some more, taking photos, and then I ran around trying to find some place with WiFi so I could register for housing for next year. I ended up at a Pret, again, and munched on some more dried mango slices as I decided my fate for next year: Lafayette room #1001.

I met Molly and Ben on the steps of St. Paul's Cathedral afterwards, and we walked along the Thames and met up with Susie on the Jubilee Bridge. The four of us then walked by Parliament and Westminster Abbey, and then my feet began to feel like they were going to fall off. So we went back to Nido (the NYU dorm), I SHOWERED (exciting day!) and then we got dinner at a Caribbean-ish restaurant and it was scrumptious. The Bull and the Big Chill House that night. Yes.




Saturday was a pretty epic day. We all went back to Borough Market to get lunch, then spent a few hours laying around in Hyde Park, watching crazy people get arrested and pedal-boating. Hyde Park is beautiful and I loved laying in the grass sharing Stephen's iPod and feeling the sun warm my tired bones. My bones are tired. I am turning twenty in two weeks. Old.

We then walked around Notting Hill for a little bit, saw the Portobello Road market and got cupcakes at Hummingbird Bakery. Notting Hill, though it was really charming and quaint, was a bit of a disappointment because
a) I didn't get to see Abbey Road
b) Hummingbird was out of red velvet cupcakes
Oh well. I'll be back. Pretty sure I only saw about 35% of what I wanted to see in London.

Afterwards, Ben took us to Piccadilly Circus and Molly and I got cheapo tickets to see the Phantom of the Opera. She and I walked around Covent Garden and Theatreland for a while before the show, and I am completely and utterly in love with London. Granted, the weather probably had a lot to do with that, but I just really like the vibe of the city. Much more livable than Paris; at least where I'm living.

Anyway, Phantom blew my mind. I cried. I may or may not be a wimp, but I was very impressed with the performance. Then we made our way back to Nido, and subsequently went out and danced the night away at the Roxy.

And then I had to leave and I don't want to talk about it.

0 comments: