Thursday, September 23, 2010

i bet you think this song is about you


from weheartit.com


I hate to say it, but it's true. I care about what I look like. I've always cared. I've always been the one comparing myself to others to make sure I'm cool enough, stylish enough, etc. I mean, we all do that, to an extent (at least, I hope so!). We need to make sure we look appropriate for the situation, the milieu, in which we find ourselves.

But lately I have found that I am succumbing to the pressures of New York City even more, in that I literally cannot leave the house without makeup on, or in the twenty minutes I spend in front of my closet every morning trying to decide what to wear. I have become even more obsessed with my image. And you know what isn't helping? Working at the restaurant.

I work at a pretty hip place. It's a hotel restaurant. I seat people who give hundred-dollar-handshakes, and celebrities. I need to look good so I get some tips. I need to look good, because otherwise, I will be looked down upon. Everyone's always telling me I do look good, and, sadly, these compliments have become what I strive for every night. If I don't get complimented, I'm doing something wrong.

The other day we got a new hostess. Tall, lanky, a beautiful doll. I felt like a child next to her. I found myself fishing for compliments from the staff to boost my temporarily deflated ego. I literally heard myself saying those words and wanted to slap myself.

Why does what you look like have to be such an important part of social life, especially here in New York City? It's funny (not in a haha-funny way, more of an interesting/ironic funny sort of thing) how far being good-looking can get you. Tall, attractive men get promoted more often, or so studies have shown. The pretty girls are the ones that get in to exclusive bars and clubs (not that that's what I aspire to, but still). It's all about image here, and I'm really starting to resent it. I want to rise above it. All I want to do is go camping in the Adirondacks for two weeks: no makeup, lake baths, no mirrors. And I don't want to be judged.

It's strange, really. All of the staff at the restaurant tell me they like me because I'm not all about image--there's more to me than just my face. And yet I find myself becoming more and more shallow day by day, spending less time beautifying my mind and more time learning how to apply my eyeliner just-so.

I think I need a swift kick in the rear.


1 comments:

Louise Secordel said...

I thought I would have the same thoughts and anxieties upon moving to NYC a year ago. How will people judge me, what if I'm not good enough for them? But surprisingly enough, I feel like there are so many people here of all shapes, color and sizes, that I can actually be whoever I want to be. It's the first place where I've actually gone outside in pajama pants =). When I lived in stockholm sweden, there was definitely a high standard of style that everyone had to conform to, and that was stressful. Here in new york, you can be anything and anyone you want to be. It all comes down to being happy with who you are, with what your own style is, and with what you do. So maybe that girl is pretty, too, but does that mean she's as cool or as smart as you? It's true how appearance definitely has an impact on behavior in today's society, particularly around attractiveness and "professionality" - and I really don't think you have to worry about that. You're right - everybody is conscious about their image. If you enjoy spending time putting on makeup (I know I like it on some days!), then that's great. But if you feel like you have to, think about who you're doing it for, and whether it's really worth it, or if it really matters in the end. And for what's it worth...I love your smile =)