
(hidden sims player from deviantART)
This post is going to solidify my reputation as an all-out nerd, but so be it. I have accepted the fact that I am, deep down, a dweeb at heart. (Side note: are there specific nuances to the different types of nerd? Namely: nerd, dweeb, dork, geek, etc.)
Anyway, lately I have been seeing the world through the eyes of a Sim. What's that, you say? You don't know what a Sim is? What, you didn't waste away childhood afternoons in front of the computer building houses for and manipulating the lives of pixellated people?
Pixellated people, indeed. Perhaps that is all we are... but that is a topic for another (existential) blog post. What I want to write about today, specifically, is relationships.
In the computer game, you can see how well two Sims get along through a simple graphic: if there are lots of green bars, the Sims are pretty tight. If not, well, good luck trying to make your Sim happy. (At least, this is how I remember it. I haven't played that game in years. I swear.) Anyway, many times in the past few weeks I have felt as though the amount of green bars in my life has been growing exponentially. Sitting on my bed between three other girls, watching old movies and eating Chinese takeout, for example. Or at the hostess stand, talking to one of the waiters and solidifying a friendship.
Speaking of the hostess stand, sometimes I watch people seated at tables, and try to discern how many green bars in that relationship. Creepy? Perhaps. Sociological experiment? Most definitely.
My nerdiness just shot through the roof.
Anyway, lately I have been seeing the world through the eyes of a Sim. What's that, you say? You don't know what a Sim is? What, you didn't waste away childhood afternoons in front of the computer building houses for and manipulating the lives of pixellated people?
Pixellated people, indeed. Perhaps that is all we are... but that is a topic for another (existential) blog post. What I want to write about today, specifically, is relationships.
In the computer game, you can see how well two Sims get along through a simple graphic: if there are lots of green bars, the Sims are pretty tight. If not, well, good luck trying to make your Sim happy. (At least, this is how I remember it. I haven't played that game in years. I swear.) Anyway, many times in the past few weeks I have felt as though the amount of green bars in my life has been growing exponentially. Sitting on my bed between three other girls, watching old movies and eating Chinese takeout, for example. Or at the hostess stand, talking to one of the waiters and solidifying a friendship.
Speaking of the hostess stand, sometimes I watch people seated at tables, and try to discern how many green bars in that relationship. Creepy? Perhaps. Sociological experiment? Most definitely.
My nerdiness just shot through the roof.

0 comments:
Post a Comment