Thursday, June 10, 2010

boys and girls


(from i am tough via weheartit)

Last night, I was watching Say Anything, which I'd never seen before. I loved it, of course. I love eighties movies, despite the horrendous haircuts and ridiculous outfits. Perhaps, more specifically, I should say that I love eighties teen movies. There is something very honest about the relationships portrayed in those movies (like Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, etc.) Something honest, something real. Untouched by the media-saturated 21st century and the jaded-ness (if that's a word) that has come with it.

Anyway, one particular scene in the movie just made my molecules tingle and my whole body smile and ache for someone to love me. Perhaps an overreaction. Perhaps. If you've seen the movie, it's the scene in which Lloyd and Diane are in the backseat of the car, by the beach, at night, the waves crashing onto the rocks. Making out, obviously. Obviously. But for those who haven't, what made me love this movie was the dialogue within this scene. Simply put, Diane asks Lloyd why he's shivering. Is he cold? No. Then why?

"I don't know. Because I'm happy."

I died. I melted into a little puddle of endorphins and I died. Have you ever been so happy that you couldn't stop shivering? What a lovely feeling. And so beautiful. So human.

Despite the fact that interacting with people you're attracted to is nerve-wracking, how beautiful is that adrenaline coursing through your veins? You're alive, you're into someone, you love someone, you're putting yourself out there. It's a wonderful thing.

** Special thanks go out to two gentlemen who also inspired me to write this post: to the waiter who could not stop nervously fiddling with the postcards while asking me out, and to the old friend back home whose voice shook when he made some valiant efforts at flirting with me, I thank you. I thank you, and I love you. I need to be more like you and get the guts to talk to someone that I like.

** Also, Jim and Pam.

0 comments: